Nearly every single artist is asking the wrong questions about selling art on Facebook.
Two weeks ago I started asking artists what their biggest questions are about selling art on Facebook. Some examples of the kinds of questions that I’ve seen:
- Is it okay if I sell my art from my personal page instead of my business page?
- Should I just use Instagram instead, since their algorithm doesn’t hide me from my followers?
- How do I see the full list of people who Like my page?
These questions fundamentally ignore one important thing every artist needs to understand: selling art is a business.
If selling art is a business, then:
- no, you shouldn’t be selling art from your personal profile (its against FB’s terms anyway and you’re going to get your account shut down). Here’s how to create a Facebook page for your art.
- Facebook owns Instagram and pretty soon Instagram will be pay to play too (you did know that Facebook is already pay to play, right?)
- Who cares if you see the full list of people? What are you going to do? Message all of them and ask them to make a purchase? That’s an enormous waste of time.
***In other words***
Learning to sell your art means you need to learn how to do hard things.
At the very least, you need to start understanding the fundamentals of online selling: attention, clicks, and landing pages.
I’ve been shouting it from the roof tops for two years: Facebook is an advertising platform. If you are depending on your followers seeing your posts without any paid boosts, good luck getting some sales from the 5% of your audience that sees your posts.
You must learn to play by Facebook’s rules if you want to succeed there. I’ve seen lots of artists do it. When I went looking for case studies, I found dozens of artist who get it, selling their art on Facebook as their primary sales source.
Let’s talk about what to do about it.
Free Webinar: Selling Art on Facebook
This week I took on 10 artists, putting them into a small group to personally manage how they implement their Facebook ads.
This webinar will show you what I’m doing with them, as well as what has worked for other artists.
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10 AM Pacific / 1 PM Eastern time, I’ll be holding a webinar to talk about what it takes to succeed on Facebook now, in late 2016.
We will cover:
- Facebook basics (business pages, and why you can’t depend on the personal profile for long-term growth)
- The infamous Facebook algorithm and why it buries your posts – and what to do about it
- How you can effectively use paid ads to promote your art
- What retargeting is and how to do it right
This webinar is going to be epic – I won’t be holding anything back. I’ll show you the stuff I’ve been working on with these other artists, as well as what some of the most advanced marketers are doing on FB.
YES, there will be a recording, but you have to register to see it.